abstract: I show you how you can install Avastar on Blender 2.70 or newer. We provide a short video which shows the installation process step by step.
Step 1: Preparations
- Install Blender: Ensure you have at least Blender 2.70 installed (we recommend Blender 2.72b).
- Purchase Avastar: If you already have purchased Avastar, you will find all released updates of the software in your Machinimatrix Download folder (see next step).
Step 2: Download
Download the Avastar zip file and place it anywhere on your local disk, and remember where you placed this file.
Where is my download ?
If you have an account on this Blog, you can get the Download from the Download Organizer
If you do not yet have an account, you have been given a temporary download link from where you get the product.
Note: The Avastar Addon runs wherever Blender runs. There is no OS dependency.
Blender accepts Addons only in Zip format…
Addons are installed in zip format so to ensure that your computer does not unzip the file after download, please review your browser settings. We suggest that you make the settings ask you where to download, so you can find the zip, and to not unzip after download.
For Mac Users:
If your Browser automatically expands the Zip file during download, then please do this:
- Open the safari preferences
- On the General tab:
- Uncheck “Open safe files after downloading”
- Hint: Many users have reported that the zip file becomes unzipped during download. Please either ensure that your downloaded file does NOT get unzipped, or zip it again after download completed. Blender needs(!) the zipped file. All attempts to install the unzipped files will fail.
- Hint: We sometimes provide a few product releases in parallel. These releases are kept available for the case where you find something broken in the newest product release. The older releases are collected in a the subfolder “the-archive” within your Download Folder
The filename explained
we are often asked why the zip file is named as it is named. There is a reason. Here is the explanation:
- avastar: the product name
- M: The major product release
- m: The minor product release
- rrrr: The product revision number
- B-bb: The earliest version of blender supported by this particular addon version
Usually you are safe to download the zip file with the highest available product revision number.
Only if you encounter a bug in Avastar you should consider to switch back to an older Avastar release by installing that over your current release. There is no need to uninstall first!)
Download Sparkles (Optional)
If your Downloadpage includes a Sparkles zip file then download this file and place it anywhere on your local disk, and remember where you placed this file.
Step 3: Installation
- Start blender
- Navigate to File -> User Preferences:
If you fail to install as described here, first check the Q&A Page and only if that does not help then please report back to us.
Hint: The most common problem occurs when your username or the path to your application data contains special characters (This is a limitation of Blender itself, this will be resolved in Blender 2.71).
If you happen to get this problem, the easiest way to solve this is by adding a separate user with only standard US characters (ASCII) in its username, then install and update Blender with that user.
- Proceed to the “Add-Ons” Tab
- At the Bottom of the Tab locate and click “Install from File…”
- A file selector opens.
- Navigate to where you have stored the avastar-m-vvv-rrr_blender-B-bb.zip file
- Select the zip file
- Finally click “Install from File…”
- Select the zip file and Press the “Install Add-On…” button
- Back in the Add-Ons Tab type “avastar” into the search field.
As you type you will see that the list of displayed Addons shrinks and quickly you can find the Avastar-module:
- If the Avastar Addon Panel is collapsed, then please expand it now to see the Addon details. Please take a closer look! You find some important information here.
Important: Please make use of the documentation! This will save you (and us) a lot of time!
- To enable the Addon you must check the checkmark at the top right corner of the panel
- In the last step you Save User Settings as your new default settings
Step 4: Verify your Installation
You can verify that Avastar has been successfully installed by navigating to the new Avastar menu entry in the Add section. Please ensure that you are in Object mode as that is the only mode from where you can add new Avastar characters:
When you click on Avastar, a new Avastar mesh character will open up for you.
Welcome to Avastar